UPDATED GALLERY STRUCTURE PROPOSAL - JULY 29
Remember that time there was like a giant discussion about how there should maybe be microfiction and flash fiction and short stories and novella and novel-chapter categories and it was like, whoa that's a lot? Well, we had another discussion and decided to go back to the way things were a long time ago: we're proposing to ditch the length-level categorizations for prose. No more figuring out whether your work is flash fiction, a vignette, or a chapter before submitting.
Original journal below the totally relevant GIF. (Everyone loves it when GRRM does that, right? Right?!)
If you haven't browsed Literature lately, it's a mess. Sure, some of it comes from people whose work truly transcends genres (ever read the Library of Congress classification for Gravity's Rainbow?) and some of it comes from how people choose to interpret certain genres.
But a lot of it comes from people having trouble navigating the galleries.
Please keep in mind that a lot of discussion went into the updates, so when you do get mad about them do it with the assumption that there's a reason behind this. Any change that adds more complexity will get an extra-helpful side dish of questioning, fair warning. We're trying to make things simpler.
All galleries will accept text and PDF submissions unless otherwise specified.
Characters & Settings
The original divisions of Contemporary, Historical, and Sci-Fi & Fantasy will be removed.
- Character Profiles & Sheets
- Plot Outlines & Synopses
- Settings & Worlds
Sketches- merge into Prose > Fiction > General Fiction
This gallery structure is being entirely shifted from a focus on genre to one on style and form. Please use the Browse tool to see how it is currently.
- Formal Verse (verse that is constrained by some combination of rhythm/meter/rhyme)
- Fixed Form
- Fixed Rhyme/Meter (poetry with rhyme schemes and/or fixed meters, but not a specific form, go here)
- Other (any recent, relatively unestablished forms including newly invented forms)
- Free Verse
- Spoken Word
- Visual (this gallery will also accept image files)
- Visual & Concrete
- Found & Blackout
Prose > FictionNo more subgalleries. Everything in Flash Fiction & Vignettes/Short Stories/Introductions & Chapters will be merged.
Children and Teen- merge into General Fiction Family Life- merge into General Fiction
- General Fiction
- Mystery & Suspense
Philosophy & Perspectives- merge into General Fiction
Erotic- merge into Romance General- merge into Romance Post-Teen (Mature)- merge into Romance Teen- merge into Romance
- Science Fiction
Socio-political- merge into General Fiction Spiritual & OccultReligious & Spiritual Transgressive- merge into General Fiction
Prose > Non-Fiction
AcademicEssays Articles & Interviews- merge into Journalism
- Biography & Memoir
EditorialOpinion Emotional- merge into General Non-Fiction
- General Non-Fiction
Historical- merge into General Non-Fiction
Philosophical- merge into General Non-Fiction Reviews & Guides- merge into Journalism
- Tutorials >>> redirect to Resources & Tutorials
Scripts & Screenplays
No subgalleries (Comedy/Drama will be merged into the top level).
- Comic Scripts
Full-length Scripts- merge into Theater Scripts
- Monologues & Soliloquies
One-Acts- merge into Theater Scripts
- Screenplays & Teleplays
- Skits & Sketches
- Theatre Scripts
Before you comment....
We need your feedback on this. These are your galleries, we need to know where you are willing to submit your art. But please remember a couple of things:
- These changes aren't arbitrary. We've looked at the content submitted to the galleries and, based on how much use they get, we're merging areas that may be seen in a bookstore but just aren't well-represented on deviantART.
- We need to be able to define what belongs in each gallery, and it needs to be sufficiently discrete. (Someday, prose-poetry. Someday.)
- Streamlining is key. We've got users from all over the world ages 13+, and 99% of them aren't going to click all the way through to Literature > Prose > Fiction > Science Fiction > Hard > Dystopian > Chapters when they can just toss their work in Science Fiction > Chapters and add keywords like 'hard sci-fi' and 'dystopian'. If you think a subgenre is really important to have, please be prepared to back it up. Again, none of these changes are arbitrary.
All that said, WE NEED YOUR THOUGHTS! Don't expect someone else to say what's on your mind. If there's a gallery you want to see, please suggest it.