Includes GIFs for
Why should I suggest a DD?
It's about the art, and every single attempt you make to get more out there is appreciated.
So! First things first: I expect technical awesomeness. Evidently the below paragraph wasn't clear so here it is: given that a third grader can construct grammatically perfect sentences, that's not enough. Readability matters more. For interesting insight on the topic, see the poorly constructed but informative The Story of Ain't. Or this.
- I like subtlety. Please don't Dan Brown your readers; they've got brains, too.
- There is no way in hell I will feature something that propagates misinformation. I majored in science. (Cite your sources, too.)
- Stray descriptors when the ambience is conveyed perfectly without them leave a bad taste behind my eyelids. In short, I discovered journalistic writing, and I'm a fan. (Although I still hate Hemingway.)
But all I really want you to do is think, 'Why should the whole site see this?' If you can't list three good reasons (that you should totally put in your note!), reconsider. And please keep in mind that it's a relative scale against everything else the site has to offer.
No contest entries if the contest is still running. Also, if it has a preview, read this first.
A couple of notes on the foreign languages I actually know well enough to read in (I know a little Greek and Spanish too):
- Je lis mieux que j'écris en français. Je pense pouvoir comprendre les textes écrit en français, même si je lis très lentment. Tant pis. Mais parce que le site est surtout en anglais, je nécessite une traduction anglaise pour une DD. (La traduction n'est pas forcée d'être merveilleuse. Seulement en anglais, je vous en prie.)
- मेरे को थोड़ी सी हिंदी आती है, लेकिन ये साईट अंग्रेजी मैं है, इस लिए कृपया अंग्रेजी भी शामिल करना । (पथ है की शायद सभ अक्षरों गलत लिखे है, गूगल की बतकिस्मत मुझ पैर आगई ।)
Unless the piece is like ridiculously mindblowingly exceptional and the author has no other work in their gallery that would also be a good feature, I will not be featuring anything with over 200 favs. This is a personal choice.
If I was the last person who featured them, try the other CVs first. You're welcome to come back to me if they're not interested, but in general I would prefer not to feature someone twice in a row.
If a suggestion isn't featured, you're always welcome to go to one of the other
About self suggestions: your job is to sell your work without falling into the realm of patronizing. It's okay if you don't include a message with the suggestion. Do not tell me you know it's not that great. Why would I feature it if you're capable of making it better? Does not compute.
I hear the other CVs have souls, which should help with the whole poetry thing. Seriously, I don't often connect to work on an emotional level, so emotional poetry is best sent to one of these dudes:
Go do that, and if you have any questions, ask ask ask!
You have the right to not like everything. I don't know if you noticed, but the site's kind of gigantor now.
The artist does not choose the feature! Doesn't matter if it's a self suggestion or otherwise. The person who made it happen was whoever featured it. And yet. FAQ #873: What do I do when I disapprove of a Daily Deviation feature?
I also don't mind notes asking me why I featured something. That said, I don't have the time to waste when the real issue is working out a bad day and discussing/debating isn't the point, so please make a journal complaining about my taste in literature instead. I just ask that you don't link the artwork as the artist had nothing to do with it, and is likely traumatized by their inbox anyway.
Anyway, props to you for reading through this! Here, have an explosion. (Also props to ^pica-ae for giving me a solid GIF source.)