[CLOSED] The Alternate Universe Contestthis contest is now closed.
do NOT note me!
I will have to tell you it's not valid, and that'll make me sad.
With a tip of the hat to all the people who came up with alternate universes as a way to explore awesome, impossible ideas...I bring you the alternate universe contest for original literature!
This contest is open from January 18-February 18 (PST, aka dA time). No extensions.
The process is simple.
Start with one of your own stories. It doesn't have to be super-fleshed out, but it does need to be written down in some form, even if it's as simple as a series of character sketches and the world they live in.Change something important. There's a lot of options. Ask yourself 'what if X had happened differently' and go from there. Aside from changing key plot points, you may want to significantly alter a character (yes, genderbending is acceptable).
Write it down! Not completely willy-nilly; there will be guidelines, of course. Oh my stars and gart
(Contest deadline is Feb. 18. Original literature only, take one of your own existing stories—it can be incomplete or a scrap or whatever—and twist it into something that riffs off the original but isn't totally tied to it. No word limit, but the new story has to have plot progression.)
I was originally planning to do a chat event, but for various reasons I decided to go with a journal instead. So basically this is a journal you can use to lay out ideas if you're having trouble figuring out directions to take your story. Obviously I can't advise you on how to go about writing it (nor will I, it's your story and ultimately the idea needs to be yours), but if you have questions, fire away
That said, I'm frequently in #CRLiterature anyway. Also please remember there is such a thing as a forum and one of its functions can be to help you refine your ideas once you have something you think you want to run with.
- IT'S YOUR STORY. No one can tell you what to write. IT'S YOUR STORY. No one can write it for you. IT'S YOUR STORY.
- Feel free to list several directions you're thinking about taking, but make sure you have at least one (say, an original story you know you want to modify).
- Don't be afraid your idea is stupid. Stupid ideas are awesome. Bowties are cool.
- Talk to other people! I'm really just hosting this journal entry for all of y'all.
- Don't ask for permission to write something that you're halfway sure about already: this is a brainstorming blog. The point is to discuss and help get ideas into writeable shape, not to receive affirmation.
- You can ask questions about the overall contest, but I'd really prefer those on the other blog.
- Have fun!